Every single GoPro camera, from the first one has been a rectangle, until now. The new GoPro HERO4 Session is a cube shaped camera. The GoPro HERO4 Session is waterproof up to 10 meters and it doesn’t require the waterproof housing which you need for the other GoPro cameras. Because of its design, the HERO4 Session is 50% smaller than the HERO4 Silver or the HERO4 Black models and it is also 35% lighter.
HERO4 Session has just two buttons. The main button on the top of the camera is used to turn the camera on and off and to start recording. If you hold the main button, the HERO4 Session will enter the time lapse mode shooting one picture every half second. The other button is on the back and it is used to turn the WiFi on or off and to display some information on the LCD.
Unfortunately, you can’t change the camera settings or the shooting modes on the camera itself. To do that, you need to pair it with your smartphone or the GoPro WiFi Remote Control which is sold separately.
The GoPro HERO4 Session can shoot up to 1440p video at 30 frames per second, 1080p video at 60 frames per second and 720p at 100 frames per second. The HERO4 Session has two microphones, one on the front and one on the back of the camera.
GoPro HERO4 Session sample footage (watch it in 1080p):
- Weight: 74g (2.6oz)
- 1440p at 25/30 FPS, Ultra Wide Angle
- 1080p at 25/30/50/60 FPS, Ultra Wide Angle
- 1080p SuperView at 25/30/48 FPS, Ultra Wide Angle
- 960p at 25/30/50/60 FPS, Ultra Wide Angle
- 720p at 25/30/50/60/100 FPS, Ultra Wide Angle
- 720p SuperView at 25/30/50/60 FPS, Ultra Wide Angle
- Video format: H.264 codec, .mp4 file
- Photo Resolution: 5MP at 2720×2040 resolution and 8MP at 3264×2448 resolution
- Burst Mode: Capture up to 10 photos in 1 second (30 fps)
- Time Lapse: Capture a series of photos at 0.5, 1, 2, 5, 10, 30 and 60-second intervals
- ISO settings: from 400 ISO to 1600 ISO
- Spot Meter is ideal for filming within a dark space
- Rechargeable lithium-ion 1000mAH, 3.8V battery
- Audio format: 48kHz sampling rate, AAC compression
- Internal mic: Mono x2 / External mic: not supported
- Ports: Charging, Micro USB and microSD
- Up to 64GB microSD Class 10 or UHS-1 rating card supported
The battery of the GoPro HERO4 Session will last about an hour and 55 minutes while shooting a 1440p video at 30 frames per second or about two hours while shooting a 1080p video at 30 frames per second. Take a look at the chart below to see the battery life when shooting in various modes.
What is in the box:
- GoPro HERO4 Session
- Standard Frame
- Low-Profile Frame
- Curved Adhesive Mount
- Flat Adhesive Mount
- Ball Joint Buckle
- Mounting Buckles + Hardware
- Micro-USB Cable
The price point of the GoPro HERO4 Session is pretty high as it is the same price as the GoPro HERO4 Silver Edition which has more resolution and frame rates to choose from, swappable batteries and a built-in LCD touchscreen which makes it really easy to use. So you are basically paying for the small form factor of the GoPro HERO4 Session. Due to it’s form factor, the HERO4 Session image quality takes a big hit when comparing it to other GoPro models. HERO4 Silver Edition will give you a lot more detailed and sharper image. Considering there is no difference in price, there is just no way I am going to recommend buying the GoPro HERO4 Session over the GoPro HERO4 Silver Edition. If GoPro could pack the same image quality and usability of the HERO4 Silver Edition into the form factor into the HERO4 Session, they would really have a winner, but for now, stick to the one that takes better pictures.